The Delhi government on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that the 5.8km BRT stretch between Ambedkar Nagar and Moolchand was perfectly in conformity with Master Plan 2021 and was 45 metres in width.
“The right of way is 30 metres wide and the width of the whole BRT is 45 metres which is conformity with the Master Plan,” senior lawyer KTS Tulsi appearing for the government told a bench headed by Justice Pradeep Nandrajog.
The court was hearing a review petition filed by NGO Nyaybhoomi against the court’s October 18 order dismissing its plea for scrapping the project. The court fixed the matters for pronouncing orders on Friday.
The review petition said the court had rejected the plea without dealing with the aspect that the project came up on a road less than 45 metres in width and it was in violation of the Master Plan.
After being convinced by the government that the stretch was 45 metres wide, the judge asked the NGO’s president Col BB Sharan why had he not raised the issue of width of the road in his original petition.
“You need to make it clear if you are challenging the whole concept of BRT or questioning the legality of this particular Ambedkar Nagar-Moolchand stretch,” the bench told Sharan.
The review petition has referred to the court’s observation that the row over the BRT erupted because the government had chosen one of the “narrowest” and most “congested” stretches for its pilot project.
Since May 12 till the dismissal of the petition, the court had been allowing other vehicles on the BRT as part of a feasibility study being undertaken by the Central Road Research Institute (CRRI).
Source: HT (22 Nov 2012)